9. Lady Gaga’s producer Rob Fusari nicknamed her “Gaga” after the Queen song “Radio Ga Ga,” and she added “Lady” because of its regal connotations.
She was born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta.
10. Nicki Minaj fought with a manager who wanted to change her name from “Maraj” to “Minaj,” and she’s “always hated it.“
Her real name is Onika Tanya Maraj.
11. Vin Diesel’s name is a combination of his stepfather Irving Vincent’s name and a nickname he earned as a “fueled up” club bouncer.
His real name is Mark Sinclair.
12. Reese Witherspoon adopted her mother’s maiden name as her first name early in her acting career.
Her full name is Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon.
13. After dropping his first EP, Hozier shortened his name because he felt it would be “easier to remember.”
His full name is Andrew John Hozier-Byrne.
14. Jay-Z chose his stage name to honor Jaz-O, his mentor and producer.
His real name is Shawn Corey Carter.
15. Awkwafina’s stage name refers to the “high school kid that doesn’t really care about anything,” whom she repressed during college.
Her real name is Nora Lum.
16. Olivia Wilde changed her last name to honor writer Oscar Wilde after playing Gwendolen in a high school production of The Importance of Being Earnest.
Her real name is Olivia Jane Cockburn.
17. When he was 14, Eminem started rapping under the name “M&M,” which were his initials, and it evolved into “Eminem.”
His real name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III.